Collection, Use and Disclosure Of Personal Information
Objective & Scope of Policy
MacGregor Home Centre is committed to respecting your privacy and has prepared this document to inform you of our policy and practices concerning the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
Definition of Personal Information
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. Personal information includes information that relates to their personal characteristics (gender, age, income, home address, etc), their health, activities and views. Personal information is not to be confused with business information (an individual’s business address, telephone number, e-mail address etc.).
Collection of Personal Information
In the course of providing services to our clients, we collect personal information on occasion. Our primary purposes of collecting personal information is typically related to the following:
- company address information for contact and billing purposes
- personal credit card information for billing purposes
- contact information from individuals requesting information about our products and services
Personal information is collected directly from the individual concerned. Unless permitted by law, no personal information is collected about an individual without first obtaining the consent of the individual to the collection, use and dissemination of that information.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
MacGregor Home Centre’s use of personal information is limited to the purpose of effectively providing professional services to our clients. MacGregor Home Centre will only disclose personal information if necessary in the performance of these services, or at the express direction of the client.
MacGregor Home Centre may disclose personal information of clients to organizations that perform services on its behalf. This will only be done if such organizations agree to use such information solely for the purposes of providing services to Home Centre and, with respect to that information, to act in a manner consistent with this Policy.
MacGregor Home Centre does not sell, trade, barter or exchange for consideration any personal information it has obtained.
Please note that there are circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information may be justified or permitted or where MacGregor Home Centre is obliged to disclose information without consent. Such circumstances may include:
- Where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal;
- Where MacGregor Home Centre believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group;
- Where it is necessary to establish or collect monies owning to MacGregor Home Centre;
- Where it is necessary to permit MacGregor Home Centre to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that MacGregor Home Centre may sustain; or
- Where the information is public.
Where obliged or permitted to disclose information without consent, MacGregor Home Centre will not disclose more information than is required.
Personal information may also be transferred to another company in the event of a change of ownership of all or part of MacGregor Home Centre.
Accuracy of Personal Information
MacGregor Home Centre endeavours to ensure that any personal information provided by clients and in its possession is as accurate, current and complete as necessary for the purposes for which MacGregor Home Centre uses that data. Information contained in files that have been closed is not actively updated or maintained.
Retention of Personal Information
MacGregor Home Centre retains personal information as long as we believe it is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. In some circumstances, legal, financial or business requirements will dictate the retention period.
Wherever appropriate, MacGregor Home Centre will destroy any personal information not actively being used or required for retention.
Safeguarding Personal Information
MacGregor Home Centre endeavours to maintain adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to its offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of personal information.
Access to Personal Information
MacGregor Home Centre permits access to and review of personal information held by MacGregor Home Centre about an individual by the individual concerned.
If an individual believes any personal information concerning that individual is not correct, that person may request an amendment of that information by sending a request to our Manager.
MacGregor Home Centre reserves the right to decline access to Personal Information where the information requested:
- Would disclose the Personal Information of another individual or of a deceased individual;
- Would disclose business confidential information that may harm MacGregor Home Centre or the competitive position of a third party;
- Is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege;
- Could reasonably result in: (i) serious harm to the treatment or recovery of the individual concerned; (ii) serious emotional harm to the individual or another individual; or (iii) serious bodily harm to another individual;
- May harm, or interfere with, law enforcement activities and other investigative or regulatory functions of a body authorized by statute to perform such functions;
- Is not readily retrievable and the burden or cost of providing would be disproportionate to the nature or value of the information; or
- Does not exist, is not held, or cannot be found by MacGregor Home Centre.
Where information will not or cannot be disclosed, the individual making the request will be provided with the reasons for non-disclosure.
Where information will be disclosed, MacGregor Home Centre will endeavor to provide the information within a reasonable time and no later than 30 days following the request.
To guard against fraudulent requests for access, MacGregor Home Centre will require sufficient information to allow it to confirm the identity of the person making the request before granting access or making corrections.
Amendment of Practices and This Policy
This statement is in effect as of January 1, 2014. MacGregor Home Centre will from time to time review and revise its privacy practices and this Policy. In the event of any amendment, a notice will be communicated to Clients and others in an appropriate manner.
MacGregor Home Centre’s Manager
|MacGregor Home Centre
91 Hampton Street
MacGregor, Manitoba R0H0R0
|Tel: 204 685-2234
Fax: 204 685-2982